The Comet Linethrower 250 is a single shot, self-contained linethrower equipped with an integral striker mechanism. Even with little training, the operator can target this device to a high degree of accuracy, making it suitable for all line-throwing applications at sea. Offering a range of 230 to 250 m, the Comet Linethrower 250 guarantees a highly accurate flight path even in strong side winds. This is an indispensable property of any onshore or offshore rescue device as the weather conditions in rescue situations could be unfavorable.
Design and features
The Comet Linethrower 250 consists of a weatherproof plastic casing with end cap, twist-grip trigger assembly, rocket, and line. Weighing just under 5kg, the device is portable, and its design makes it easy to wield, even for a novice. The Linethrower 250 employs a solid propellant to guarantee an accurate flight path. It is advisable to carry four complete rocket and line assemblies on board in order to comply with SOLAS requirements.
The Comet Linethrower 250 is useful in all situations where you need to pass a line accurately and quickly. It’s perfectly optimized to facilitate operation in the most extreme weather conditions, making it possible to target and fire a line even under strong currents. According to the manufacturers, some of the applications of the device include:
- All line-throwing operations at sea including between vessels, ship-to-shore, shore-to-ship, and shore-based rescue services
- Rescue of swimmers in distress
- Line carrying across obstacles and rough terrain
How to use
- Remove the front cover and point in the desired flight direction, bearing in mind that rocket-propelled projectiles would seek the wind and turn into it.
- Remove the safety tape and pin
- Aim over the top of the target
- Turn grip to left or right to fire. Be prepared for recoil
- If misfiring occurs, hold the unit in firing position for at least 60 seconds then dispose of overboard
N.B: SOLAS requires four complete rocket in-line assemblies to be carried on board.
The Comet Linethrower 250’s body and line kit are designed to last for 9 years. However, the rockets expire with time, with the minimum shelf life being 3 years. You can purchase spare rockets to replace consumed or time-expired rockets.
It is best to store the device in a water-resistant locker at ambient temperature. The storage location should be easily accessible during an emergency. For offshore rescue purposes, the manufacturers recommend to disperse the set of 4 appliances usually carried onboard, in strategic locations throughout the vessel.
The Comet Linethrower 250 Body and Line costs around $550 (the rocket sells separately for $170). To purchase the product, you can visit their official website.