Eco Cycle is a visionary solution for mass storage of bikes, originating from Japan. Space is at a premium in cities and conventional storage methods are inadequate to satisfy the growing number of cyclists.
According to the statistics portal, statista:
“The number of cyclists/bike riders, in the US alone, saw a big increase between 2012 and 2017, increasing from around 51 million riders to slightly more than 66 million riders in 2017. Prior to 2012, the number of cyclists only increased slightly each year. As more people recognize the many benefits of biking/cycling and if municipalities support cycling infrastructure, it is likely that more people will start to ditch their cars for bikes.”
The story in UK is quite similar. More than two million people across the country now cycle at least once a week, an all-time high according to British Cycling, the sport’s governing body in the UK.
Automated Cycle Storage
Eco Cycle stores multiple bikes below or above the ground, with a retrieval time of just 13 seconds (as per company website). Whether installed in public spaces or within new residential and commercial buildings it provides the ideal solution for mass storage of bikes in cities.
Construction & Operation
Eco Cycle offers a bespoke package to suit your requirements – a turnkey solution or the provision and installation of the system. The company says that construction takes on average only two and a half months.
The fully automated system is simple to use and remote monitoring is available 24/7. Sensors are built in to keep users safe and out of harm’s way. Users access the system with an Integrated Circuit (IC) Card.
Key Features & Benefits
- High capacity of 204 bikes
- Mini system available (58 bikes)
- Easy handling & quick operation
- Elimination of street clutter
- Simple design for quick construction
- Fully automated & versatile system
- Remote monitoring 24/7
- Low running costs
- Customisable pod for branding & advertising
- Significant footprint savings
- Bikes are dropped off at street level
- Saves basement & circulation space
- More secure than racking in an open basement
- Over-provision of spaces future-proofs buildings
- Potential BREEAM & planning benefits of over-providing cycle spaces
- Scope of usage not restricted to occupants of building
- Ability for an income stream through charging
- Gives function & activity to a façade
[Eco Cycle] can be incorporated into the design of new buildings. It can provide convenient and secure parking for both the public and the building’s occupants.