From the old days of manual wheelchairs to today’s fully automated and smart ones, there is no arguing that mobility assist devices have come a long way. However, a good number of people using wheelchairs still find it challenging to get into and out of their cars on their own.
Although a few cars are specially modeled to support wheelchair entry, these models are usually pricey, and their specifications may even leave much to be desired. Alternatively, wheelchair users have the option of remodeling their car, but this could be even more cost-intensive.
If you’ve been looking for a cost-effective way to make your car wheelchair friendly, Abiloader by AbiliQuip is the solution for you. The equipment automatically unloads and stows virtually any kind of wheelchair from/to selected car models. Unlike other equipment of its ilk, Abiloader is versatile enough to fit a wide range of cars from different manufacturers, including but not limited to Mazda, Ford, Mercedes, VW, Honda, Nissan, and Chevrolet.
Design and features
Abiloader is a robotic wheelchair loader that’s suitable for wheelchair users who can transfer between the wheelchair and car seat. This category of people can still drive regular cars because they do not have to move their wheelchair into the car. However, they would usually need someone to help with putting the wheelchair into the trunk and bringing it out.
The system ensures this category of people can travel independently. The system automatically loads the wheelchair into the vehicle once they get on the car seat, and it unloads it to an easily accessible point when they wish to get out. The seemingly complex process of loading and unloading happens at the press of a button!
Features of Abiloader
- Unloads wheelchair in the space required to open the car door
- Depending on the configuration, the system can deliver the wheelchair to the driver’s door side or the front passenger side.
- The system works with a wide range of vehicles and wheelchair models.
- Abiloader can be transferred from one vehicle to another.
- It can work seamlessly with certain wheelchairs with electric power conversion feature.
- Abiloader is free of the height restriction problem that’s common with roof mount hoists.
- The wheelchair remains in the trunk throughout the journey, enjoying maximum protection from the elements.
- Works in any parking space as long as you can open the front door.
How to know if your vehicle and wheelchair are Abiloader compatible
According to the manufacturers, the following factors influence the compatibility of Abiloader robotic wheelchair loader with your wheelchair and vehicle model:
- Size and shape of your trunk
- Length of the car
- Size and shape of the wheelchair
If you wish to know whether your vehicle and wheelchair will be compatible, you’ll need to let the dealers know the name and model of your wheelchair and car. They may also request more information about the dimension of your chair because wheelchairs are often customized to suit the user’s specific needs.
The dealers typically recommend that potential users should be willing to make slight adjustments to their wheelchair. This may be necessary if the wheelchair isn’t compatible with the Abiloader system.
AbiliQuip are based in Christchurch, in the South Island of New Zealand. They have dealers in some parts of the world, and others are under action. You can visit the official AbiliQuip website to place your order or verify the contact of a dealer around you.